After years of frustration with cell phones and PDAs, I can finally say that I have THE ONE. Not that IPhone is a well kept secret or that this is such a great revelation. However, I want to share my insights with our readers.
My latest frustration was with Blackberry Storm. Main issue was the poor syncing; about every 3rd or 4th sync, I basically had to start all over by deleting files, rebooting, blah, blah, blah. And it was most frustrating because I would want to sync just before leaving my office for a meeting and I like to have all of my contacts, calendars, et al up to date.
My business partner at Optimum7 gave me the final push to get an IPhone when the 3gs came out, so I did. Simply, I’ll never look back. It’s just no contest. Here are my observations based on the way that I use mobile technology:
- Syncing is a snap – I have a Mobile Me Account with Apple. What this means is everything that I do on either of my Macs, PC’s or IPhone is synced on the fly through the Mobile Me online account. No need to do a wireless or wired sync and no need to pray that it worked well. It just works as most things do when it comes to Apple. Not only contacts and calendars can be synced. Bookmarks, Keychains, Passwords, music, photos and much more can be synced all of the time and with no effort beyond creating your settings. It’s a beautiful thing.
- The interface – its wonderfully clean, intuitive and just solid. The integration with IPod / ITunes, Safari et al is solid and just plain easy to use.
- Those Apps – “There’s an App for that” – truer words were never spoken. So far I have downloaded a great weather radar app that shows me exactly where approaching Thunderstorms are (I am scared of lightning), a mosquito repellent that actually appears to work, a few great games (The Moron Test, Play Golf, Crosswords, Solitaire, Pinball), a flashlight which really works well in a pinch, a voice to text email app, the same password manager I use on my other hardware (all synced using Mobile Me by the way), and the very same project management system we use for all of our client projects at Optimum7. And I ain’t done!
- The camera – 3 megapixel. Digital Video Camera too. This thing is just great … don’t you think Apple should send me some royalties?
- All manner of news and information, up to the minute and all of the time. Bottom line for me is less time in front of a laptop or a desktop system which is a refreshing change as I am an information addict.
Clearly anyone on the fence should just get off the fence and get one. I can’t imagine anyone actually being disappointed or “underwhelmed” with this great device. It’s truly a milestone invention and achievement in early 21st century technology.