Twitter’s trending topics are the top ten keywords that are being tweeted at that time. Recently MJ has been a leading trending topic. The trending topics range from anything that has been in current events such as #iranelections, to #hashtag keywords that people create to start a twitter-wide conversation with topics such as #truth or #lies. Not all trending topics are #hastags, for example, the few non #hashtag trending topics right now are Chuck Norris, Michael Jackson, Harry Potter, Pirates, Sotomayor, and Bruno. Side Note: Hashtags are tags preceded by the “#” symbol and are generally used by Tweeps who wish to follow what is being said about a particular subject whether or not you are actually following the Tweeps.
So as a marketer, what are the best ways to take advantage of Twitter’s trending topics? Usually when I go on twitter it is in my common processes to click on a few of the trending topics to see what the conversations are about, and often there are links attached to these tweets. I occasionally browse through a few of the links and get to some pretty cool sites, mostly content related. Here, I am going to lay out of few tricks to boost your traffic, increase your followers, and add to your twitter credibility all through the #trending topics.
- Research the trending topics of the day, and choose a few that are either most relevant to you, or your industry.
- For example, Bruno: How Bruno is used guerrilla marketing tactics www.bit.com/example
- It would be really useful if you were able to immediately blog, or write some content pertaining to one of the trending topics. It should be very current, and relevant for getting traffic to your site.
- Once you have written your content, tweet one of the trending topics and add your own spin on it that is not following what most of the other tweeps are tweeting. After your words, add a link to your content. This also keeps your site or blog relevant, and up to date for all trends in the industry.
- Do this a few times for the trending topic of your choice. This is necessary because the trending topics change and get tweeted constantly, so you want to make sure that when someone clicks on the trending topic, that you are there.
- Get re-tweeted! If you have a network of tweeps that you can ask to RT (retweet) your tweets, do so. This can boost the chances of your content being currently featured in the main trending topics page, and also spreads your link through the net grape vine.
If done properly, Twitter can be a great tool to market anything. You just have to analyze, and outline the best ways to do so. Utilizing the popularity of the trending topics can really help give you a marketing edge. Taking advantage of #Trending Topics is a great tool to boost traffic to your site, spread your relevant content, add industry specific followers, and increase credibility for those you seek to target.